Storyboard – Video

As part of our final client submission we wanted to create a concept video. I was tasked with storyboarding and writing the script for the video. There was a story arc I wanted to use to communicate our problem. The style would very much be influenced by modern product videos for aspirational products.

The story arc was as follows:

  • Introduce the Problem – Lack of awareness and not meeting WHO guidelines
  • Introduce EEK
  • How do we solve the problem
  • What more can we do

After storyboarding the concept I used an online scripting programme called Celtx.com which is an amazing free programme to quickly write scripts. As we would be using Voiceover it also allows you to separate VO from scene descriptions.

 

Packaging and Print design

I worked closely with Paget McCormack and Yana Shmatova to design the packaging and print collateral for the eek product. Paget was at a stage where he had the product form complete – I was then able to take the form and apply our branding. Similarly with the teacher resources handbook Yana had the content ready to go. To design both I used Adobe Indesign and created a low fidelity prototype to test with. Once we were happy with the low fidelity versions I prepared the deliverables for print.

 

 

User Research – Deep Dive

After our first week of researching the domain and really understanding the various components of our project we began an intensive week of user research. I worked with the team to formulate a structured interview template – one that touched on various areas we were keen to get an understanding of but ensuring it wasn’t to prescriptive or closed. This we hoped would allow for open and honest answers. After we divided the class in to key target locations myself and Louise Heywood set ourselves up for a day in Ranelagh and Rathmines. Some great insights and feedback began to emerge throughout the day. We were eager and excited to get back and start unpacking.

While we were in Rathmines we took the opportunity to visit Cystic Fibrosis Irelands headquarters. We had a really great meeting and interview with their head of research. Those who would be categorised as “vulnerable” would be a strong persona that our designs would aim to cater for.

 

Stakeholder Mapping

When we sat down to draw up our stakeholder map we decided to map out the stakeholders in terms of primary, secondary and tertiary in terms of being directly or indirectly effected by the eventual design solutions that we may reach.

We colour coded it into pink for members of the civilian population, orange for government bodies with legislative power and green for general industry that could be indirectly effected.

This stakeholder map will be digitised following the feedback we receive on it during our research presentation and placed into our final report as well being constantly consulted as we cater our design solutions to the various stakeholders needs.

Data Aquisiton Research

For my part in the data research I focused on Data acquisition. My aim was to detail and document the different datasets that the EPA were gathering. We were keen to start breaking down what was available for us to work with. The approach taken here was to create a spreadsheet with each of the data resources listed and some metadata against each item.

With each resource we focused on the following areas:

  • Name: This is the name of the pollutant being measured.
  • Abstract/Description: This is the background of why the pollutant is being measured. Here we can see what european directives are involved and any meaningful health impacts.
  • URL: This is the live URL of the resource on the EPA site
  • Start Date: When the EPA started recording this data
  • Lineage: This section covers any background information or causes for the data to be recorded.
  • Frequency: This details the frequency of the data collected.
  • Unit: We detail out the unit of measurement for the data.
  • High risk individuals: Lists people in the public most at risk from specific pollutants.
  • Impacts: Details the health impacts of specific pollutants.

The next area of research focused on the area of citizen data collection. We were keen to research what guidelines are available for potential users, what kits or Arduino projects are our there and what potential pitfalls can surround this area. We were lucky to be able to source a detailed overview by the US EPA foundation on citizen data collection.

Additionally we looked at a few Arduino projects that gave some indicators on what sensors are required to collect the data.

Overall a clear picture of the available data and the processes we need to be aware of for data acquisition were now documented and feeding our insights for the project.

Video Planning and Production

As my role in the video production and planning I worked closely with Rob Clarke to go through the script he had created. We extracted all scenes and shots we needed to create in to a spreadsheet and prioritised what we would do from High (required) to Low (nice to have). The key story was important to tell but we had a limited shoot time and editing time.

We were planning to shoot the film over two evenings and one morning in the studio. The sound production would be completed over the easter break.