As our product neared completion we were keen to spend time to photograph the kits and kit contents to our best ability.Myself and Paget spent a morning preparing the set and photographing the finalised kit. With the lighting setup we were also able to get some finalised product shots for our concept video.
After our research presentation to the client we were at a point where we had to unpack and begin to make meaning of all the data we had. This was possibly the most challenging part of the project. We had conducted about 100 interviews, one full week of secondary research and countless hours spent thinking about the project. To help move this forward I brought to the group several brainstorming and ideation methods I had found on the IDEO Design Kit site Some of the techniques we worked through:
Each approach is linked above. As group we iterated and moved through the techniques over a couple of days when it was starting to become clear we had some clear areas of distinction and interests emerging.
As part of the task breakdown we decided to divide and concur the project utilising our individual skill-sets. I was assigned Cupplunk branding and design style, technical requirements the Arduino setup and production planning the video. I would also look after any after effects work.
We were keen at the beginning to have a functioning Arduino element to the project. This would build on our experiences from past projects. After consulting with Ed our Technician I was able to outline the following technical spec.
Luckily in the Arduino Starter kit there was a project call ‘Lesson 10 – Zoetrope’ which contains a large portion of our circuit design. We have used this as a basis.
The following outline the use cases we believe our circuit will support:
- The ability to control the speed of the retracting rod
The ability to control direction of the rod (in and out)
The ability to automatically (time based) have the rod withdraw and thus dropping a cup
We believe the following items meet our technical requirements:
- DC Motor – Power Cog for retracting rod
- 1 Cog – Potentially extracted from a scanner which will attach to rod
- 9V Battery – Power DC Motor
- Breadboard – Contain assets
- H Bridge – Allow multiple directions
- 12V Power source – Power the UNO Board without USB
- 2 Switches – Controlling direction
- 1 Potentiometer – Controlling the speed
We will be using the Arduino Starter kit project as a base for our code with some minor modifications. Taking this in to consideration the following meet our technical requirements:
- Arduino IDE
- Arduino Example Project 10 – Zoetrope
I quickly prototyped the Arduino setup and had it working with a simple motor and gear setup.
To present our concepts we setup table in the studio with our 4 early prototypes from the workshop, a storyboard to support the user scenario and some initial branding/ideas.
Our first concept was Cupz. A vibrating cup that focused on the idea that after a set period of time in which the cup is away from the docking station it would begin to vibrate a few times reminding the user that it needs to be washed. Cupz personality traits were cheeky – in that it has the temerity to tell you to wash it, needy – in it is going to be bothering you and cute – in the sense that it’s like a baby that needs your care.
Cupplunk is a for those serious about keeping clean. If all cups are not placed back on the rack by the end of the day a cup is sacrificed by the retracting rods. The personality traits of this product are serious but there is also an element of black comedy to the over the top violence of it’s punishment.
Click was a concept that made your cup very much your own as the detachable arm of the cup remained attached to your keychain so only you could be using the cup at any one time. You also would have to use the product or you might burn your hand on the hot cup. The personality traits of the product would be organised as well as slightly quirky. It invites you to play with the components and customise as well.
Rolly played with form as it’s cylindrical base doesn’t let you put it down just anywhere except in the customised coster. It is simple, smart and aesthetically pleasing. It’s personality traits are friendly, playful and encouraging.
To support our concepts I developed two moodboards which captured some of the design aesthetics we were interested in and also referenced some characters which we felt best summed up our personality.
For our first presentation out as a group we wanted to present 4 developed concepts. We actively took on sketching and ideation individually to come up with as many ideas as we could. I was focusing on particularly two areas – The user who was moving from one point to another and secondly the user leaving the cup on the desk. For each idea I was ensuring to refer to emotional design principles. Could we harness any methods of design appeal or pleasurability?
To create the Laser cut box I setup and measured the physical components needed to fit in the box unit. I laid out the requirements in Illustrator and printed the file to paper prototype the size and shape. Once I had tweaked the final version I was ready to have laser cut in the workshop. At this stage I also began to think of final finish – gold and black paint were going to add a touch of retro feel.
For the next couple of iterations I was working my way through the following key interactions:
- Could I take a sentence and extract key words from the input in to an Array
- Could I loop through the Array and extract any key “intents”. These would be ‘Move’, ‘Go’, ‘Up’, ‘Down’, ‘Stop’ and so on
- Could I replace the static ball with an image – At this stage I was focused on an Emoji type character
- Could I design a Game background
- Could I design collision detection when the character hit a wall
- Could I control the emoji speed